Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Social, Ethical, and Legal Issues (turnitin)


     The Turnitin system taught me how to detect plagiarism, prevent plagiarism, and how to bring the problem of plagiarism to attention.  There were two parts to this assignment that consisted of writing to separate reports.  The first report I had to write contained a set of questions I had to answer using the websites provided on the directions.  Using the provided websites, I simply copied and pasted answers straight from the website to my report.  After I completed the copied report I submitted it to Turnitin which informed me that around ninety percent of my paper had been plagiarized.  This was a great demonstration on how plagiarism can be detected by simply using a website.  The second part of this assignment was the revised draft, which was writing a report of the questions that needed to be answered, in my own words.  When I submitted this report, Turnitin detected less than fifteen percent plagiarism. 
     I did not encounter any problems with this assignment.  I will use the Turnitin program with my own class when I assign reports or papers.  This will help me detect if my students are trying to plagiarize.  The NETS-T standards associated with this assignment are modeling digital age work and learning and promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility.  The Turnitin website falls under these standards because it advocates, models, and teaches safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.                           

To view my turnitin report click here

No comments:

Post a Comment